2. Consult with the graduate students that are today within the programs you are considering. Are they happy?
3. Don't come to a decision considering an individual faculty member. She or he may keep or grow to be not quite as wonderful as you now think. Seek a department this is certainly strong overall.
4. Cannot presume you understand your specific analysis interests and focus simply on professors in that narrow location. Many pupils change their head over their particular first couple of years of grad school.
5. May be the precise location of the school a great destination to live? Grad college is a long haul, typically four to six many years, that is a significant fraction you will ever have. Being a PhD student is persistence, however it should not be a miserable existence.
6. Is the university in general a great place? It is always more enjoyable being section of a good establishment. Even in the event the economics department is ideal, when it is an island in a sea of mediocrity, being you will have less satisfying.
7. Are the undergraduates there good pupils? At some point as a graduate pupil, you will (and should) do some teaching, maybe as a teaching associate in an undergraduate course. In the event that undergraduates are an academically powerful team, they'll be much more intellectually involved and much more rewarding to show.
8. Avoid being distressed if you couldn't go into your top choice. Everything you do in graduate school (or college) is a lot more crucial than for which you go. Your individual drive matters more than the ranking associated with the school you attend.
Update: visitors advise an extra criterion:
9. Glance at the record of current PhD students. What fraction who begin this program complete a PhD? What types of jobs do they get upon completion? Will they be the sorts of jobs you wish to? The positioning record will provide you with a sign associated with caliber of pupils whom go into the system, the value-added associated with the system itself, and how well the division sells its pupils face to face market.